Daytona Beach residents can apply to receive free Ring doorbell cameras. The City of Daytona Beach is giving away 300 doorbell cameras to citizens on a first-come, first-served basis and distributed equally throughout the city's six zones.
Eligible citizens must:
- Have WiFi network at their residence
- Have a smartphone
- Pay the annual subscription for the monitoring service ($3 a month or $30 per year)
- Attend a training class offered by the Daytona Beach Police Department
- Agree to share any surveillance video with law enforcement, in the event of a crime in their neighborhood
- Must not already have a doorbell camera device
Ring doorbell cameras are well-known for identifying porch pirates in the act, as well as break-in thieves. The devices also allow users to scare away unwelcome visitors by talking to them through the device after getting a smartphone alert about activity at their front door.