The City of Daytona Beach is hosting its first annual football kickoff party at Daytona Stadium Saturday, Aug. 20. Fans can enjoy a variety of free activities from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. including country, pop and rock concerts and performances by local school marching bands. Admission is free and concessions will be available. The event is sponsored in part by Academy Sports, Advent Health, One Daytona, Tanger Outlets, VyStar Credit Union, 103.3 The Vibe, 95.7 The HOG, HOT 94.1 and 93.1 Coast Country. Daytona Stadium is at 3917 LPGA Blvd.
Bring your friends and enjoy tailgating at the football kickoff party. To reserve a spot, vehicles are $10, and RVs are $20, register online. Outside food will be allowed in tailgating area only so bring out the grills and enjoy cooking and a day full of fun activities. Academy Sports + Outdoors is offering a 20% discount on purchases starting Friday for people who are wanting to purchase tailgating supplies. Customers can receive 20% off their entire purchase in store or online. There will be a tailgate contest with judging at 2 p.m. by WVYB 103.3 The Vibe's DJ Tremble and HOT 94.1 DJ Jay Love. First place winner to receive a $300 Academy Sports + Outdoors gift card.
- All vehicles will be entering from the visitor’s side where the free parking is located. Everyone registered for tailgating spots will be directed around the back side of the stadium to the tailgating area.
- Tailgating is permitted from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Once vehicles leave tailgating area, re-entry WILL NOT be permitted.
- Patrons are permitted to bring a single pop-up tent, which may not exceed 10 feet by 10 feet for small spots or 10 feet by 20 feet for large spots.
- Only one vehicle is permitted per spot. RVs and oversized vehicles (vehicles with trailers, campers, buses, motor homes, etc.) are permitted in LARGE spots only.
- Outside food cannot be sold or brought into stadium. Outside alcohol is strictly prohibited.
Local school cheerleaders, mascots and marching band performances* include:
- Atlantic High School Cheerleaders
- Bethune-Cookman University Cheerleaders
- Campbell Middle School Drum Line and Cheerleaders
- Father Lopez Catholic High School Dance Team
- Mainland High School Marching Band and Cheerleaders
- New Smyrna Beach High School Cheerleaders
- Seabreeze High School Cheerleaders
- Trinity Christian Academy JROTC and Cheerleaders
*Subject to change
Regional qualifying for national Punt, Pass and Kick USA competition
The competition starts at 3 p.m. and is free to boys and girls ages 6-15. The Punt, Pass & Kick USA football competition allows youngsters to showcase their talents in punting, passing and kicking with scores based on distance and accuracy. Age classification is as of Dec. 31 at 11:59 p.m. local time for the current year. Winners are based on distance and accuracy. Winners will receive awards and qualify for a regional competition, which are held in October, November or December. Daytona Beach's competition is one of only two competitions held in Florida. The other competition location is in Panama City, Florida. Register online to participate in the competition.
Free country, rock and pop music concerts on the One Daytona stage throughout the day
- Nerd Ranger – Performing at 11 a.m.
Hailing from Shermer, Illinois, Nerd Ranger is known far and wide as "the smartest band in the land." Good looks, big brains and “dancing with the nerds” moves....what a combination! With a collective IQ of over 1,000, these geniuses have turned party rock and roll into a science with a big bang! Inspired by the 80’s movie, Revenge of the Nerds, this high energy party band is like riding in a DeLorean that just hit 88 MPH!
- Chris McNeil - Performing at 2:30 p.m.
Stationed on a Navy ship at sea, Chris McNeil learned three chords on a guitar -- and has never stopped playing since. Born and raised in Central Florida, Chris grew up surrounded by music. His pride for where he comes from is woven into his meaningful lyrics, while the soulfulness gained singing in the church choir comes across in each note he sings. His feel-good music blends a laid-back, small-town vibe with melodies that can always get a party started. Chris plays a full lineup of shows in the Central Florida area and beyond. His first single, “County Line,” has already caught the attention in the Nashville music scene. This hardworking veteran has served his country and now finds his greatest joy entertaining others through his music.
- Lovestruck Robot – Performing at 5:30 p.m.
Lovestruck Robot is a young, fresh, explosive band from Orlando, Florida, that features the lead vocals of Jace Magee and Vanessa Quillao. This young, talented band has extensive touring experience that spreads overseas and across the country. They have played at the Super Bowl, the World Famous House of Blues, the Ritz Theater in historic Ybor City Tampa, and have also graced “The Voice” and “American Idol” stages. The band has released a full album titled, “I Wanna Be In A Band,” and have also had two singles that reached the top of the charts on Sirius XM Satellite radio, and the National Media Base charts. Their sophomore single “Random Hi 5’s” has been featured on the “Today” show on NBC and also was the featured song for Bloomingdale’s 2014 National Spring Line ad campaign. The band's repertoire combines the latest in Top 40 pop with throwback Motown mashups and old school tunes specially designed to make party goers of all ages smile and dance! Their explosive and energetic stage show, and extensive repertoire of cover songs is guaranteed to get you fired up.
For more information, call (386) 671-8268.