Portable generators are useful when temporary or remote electric power is needed, but they can be hazardous. Below are the primary hazards to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning, electric shock or electrocution, and fire.
Carbon Monoxide Hazards:
1. Always use generators outdoors, away from doors, windows and vents.
2. NEVER use generators in homes, garages, basements, crawl spaces, or other enclosed or partially enclosed areas, even with ventilation. Follow manufacturer's instructions.
3. Install battery-operated or plug-in (with battery backup) carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in your home, following manufacturer's instructions.
4. Test CO alarms often and replace batteries when needed.
Keep the generator dry.
1. Operate on a dry surface under an open, canopy- like structure.
2. Dry your hands before touching the generator.
3. Plug appliances directly into generator or use a heavy-duty outdoor- rated extension cord. Make sure the entire extension cord is free of cuts or tears and the plug has all 3 prongs, especially a grounding pin.
4. NEVER plug the generator into a wall outlet. This practice, known as backfeeding, can cause an electrocution risk to utility workers and others served by the same utility transformer.
5. If necessary to connect generator to house wiring to power appliances, have a qualified electrician install appropriate equipment. Or, your utility company may be able to install an appropriate transfer switch.
1. Before refueling the generator, turn it off and let it cool. Fuel spilled on hot engine parts could ignite.
2. Always store fuel outside of living areas in properly labeled, non-glass containers.
3. Store fuel away from any fuel-burning appliance.