The Daytona Beach Fire Department would like to information you of some safety tips when utilizing fireworks or sparklers.
• Keep children and pets at least 30 feet away from all ignited sparklers.
• Always keep a water hose or bucket of water ready when burning or using fireworks (it’s a good idea to drop used sparklers in a bucket of water).
• Be sure other people are out of range before lighting fireworks.
• Use only legal fireworks that are not propelled or do not explode; these are less likely to ignite a wildfire.
• Only light fireworks on a smooth, flat surface away from the house, dry leaves and flammable materials.
• Never have any portion of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse.
• Never carry fireworks in your pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
• Read and follow all warnings and instructions.
• Light only one item at a time and never attempt to re-light a “dud.”
• Don’t use any unwrapped items or items that may have been tampered with.
• Only purchase fireworks from licensed vendors.
• Watch for smoke and report any fire immediately.
Sources: The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Florida fire marshal, Florida Division of Forestry