Winter holidays are a time for families and friends to get together. But that also means a greater risk for fire. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) states two of every five home decoration fires are started by candles while nearly half of holiday decoration fires happen because decorations are placed too close to a heat source. Following the following simple tips will ensure a happy and fire-safe holiday season.
1. Be careful with holiday decorations. Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame
2. Keep lit candles away from decorations and other things that can burn.
3. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
4. Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Connect no
more than three strands of mini light sets and a maximum of 50 bulbs for screw-in bulbs. Read
manufacturer’s instructions for number of LED strands to connect.
5. Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.
6. Keep decorations away from windows and doors.